Tuesday, August 13, 2013

I Don't Need Jesus Right Now

My family and I went on a trip to Indiana over the weekend. While there I found a beautiful picture of Jesus walking with two of his disciples. I have the perfect spot for it in my study room. Yesterday we got home around 3:30 and I was exhausted. I laid down to rest and my husband asked me if I wanted him to go get my Jesus picture. I told him no, I don't need Jesus right now. Of course I was kidding, but it made me wonder if I live my life as if I don't need Jesus.

Who do I call on when I need a friend to lean on? Do I go to my knees in prayer or try to carry the burden myself? Jesus should never be used as a backup plan or a last resort. Jesus tells us in John 15: 4, "Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me." We don't become Christians on our own and we can't remain Christians on our own. We need Jesus. Every minute of every day.

Paul understood this when he said in Philippians 4: 11 that he has learned to be content no matter what the circumstances. How did he do this? In verse 13 he goes onto say, "I can do all this through him who gives me strength." We draw our strength through Jesus much like a plant draws it's strength from the roots that anchor it to the ground.

I pray my life is a reflection of this truth. I want those around me to see my sufficiency coming from the only Source that can give it. I want to keep my eyes on Jesus, "the pioneer and perfecter of faith."

No comments:

Post a Comment